FMS (Functional Movement Screening)
HOW WELL DO YOU MOVE??
Are you Pain free? Are you continually loading your body on top of dysfunction? Compensations can be found throughout one's body in order to perform. I have just come back from a certification called CK-FMS (Functional Movmement Screening)which literally turns the fintess and health industry on it's head. Why?? Because it teaches us fitness professionals, trainers and coaches how to look at a person's dysfunction, asymmetries, and compensations BEFORE the person begins to train. How awesome is that??!!! Talk about setting your client up for success!! This is the tool to do it. Read below for a little bit more info about the training and it's purpose! It truly brings a whole higher level of accountability when working with clients!
FUNCTIONAL MOVEMENT SCREEN
The Functional Movement Screen (FMS) is the product of an exercise philosophy known as Functional Movement. This exercise philosophy and corresponding set of resources is based on sound science, years of innovation, and current research.
How it Works - Simplifying Movement
- Put simply, the FMS is a ranking and grading system that documents movement patterns that are key to normal function. By screening these patterns, the FMS readily identifies functional limitations and asymmetries. These are issues that can reduce the effects of functional training and physical conditioning and distort body awareness.
- The FMS generates the Functional Movement Screen Score, which is used to target problems and track progress. This scoring system is directly linked to the most beneficial corrective exercises to restore mechanically sound movement patterns.
- Exercise professionals monitor the FMS score to track progress and to identify those exercises that will be most effective to restore proper movement and build strength in each individual.
What it Does - Widespread Benefits
- The FMS simplifies the concept of movement and its impact on the body. Its streamlined system has benefits for everyone involved - individuals, exercise professionals, and physicians.
- Communication - The FMS utilizes simple language, making it easy for individuals, exercise professionals, and physicians to communicate clearly about progress and treatment.
- Evaluation - The screen effortlessly identifies asymmetries and limitations, diminishing the need for extensive testing and analysis.
- Standardization - The FMS creates a functional baseline to mark progress and provides a means to measure performance.
- Safety - The FMS quickly identifies dangerous movement patterns so that they can be addressed. It also indicates an individual's readiness to perform exercise so that realistic goals can be set and achieved.
- Corrective Strategies - The FMS can be applied at any fitness level, simplifying corrective strategies of a wide array of movement issues. It identifies specific exercises based on individual FMS scores to instantly create customized treatment plans.
FMS for Individuals
- "Consult your doctor before beginning any exercise plan." It's a common message, and one that often goes ignored. But physical preparedness is a vital part of training that many people fail to consider. It's no wonder then that thousands of people are sidelined each year by stress fractures and other preventable injuries.
- Whether you're training for a marathon or just getting in shape, taking on a physical challenge requires a great deal of commitment, research, and resilience. And there's nothing like an injury to cause a setback and diminish morale. Even if you eat the perfect foods, use the most top-of-the-line equipment, and recite the most effective affirmations, failing to address your physical preparedness will leave you vulnerable to injuries that could stop you in your tracks.
- Conventional training can actually stack dysfunction on your fitness, cementing poor movement patterns and leaving you open to injury.
- Conventional training also tends to focus on temporary goals like losing a certain number of pounds or being able to participate in a specific event.
- With the FMS system, you can build total-body fitness and genuine endurance for the long term.
- The FMS can help you get the most out of your fitness regimen and achieve your greatest potential. This system reduces the risk of injury and helps you establish a plan and timeline for success.
Benefits of the FMS
- Improve functional fitness & athletic performance
- Establish a starting point and realistic goals
- Create a completely personalized fitness plan
- Identify dangerous weaknesses BEFORE injury occurs
- Identify and resolve movement problems
- Build lasting fitness instead of temporary ability
- Measure and establish a record of progress
How the FMS Works
The FMS is a standardized system designed to balance and improve your physical ability.
Testing - You will perform a series of 7 motions.
Evaluation - You will be given a score for your performance of each motion.
Planning - A series of exercises will be recommended based on your scores. Your individualized plan will take into account your fitness goals.
Monitoring - Your progress and motion patterns will be monitored and recorded over time. If you develop an imbalance or injury, it will be identified early and targeted for quick resolution.
FMS CERTIFIED PROFESSIONALS
Only an FMS certified exercise professional can administer this system. These practitioners receive intensive training in the FMS system and have constant access to the latest fitness information. They also belong to a network of certified professionals who share insights and resources to help maximize the FMS experience.
This is an amazing tool for anyone who wants to simply move better or for an athlete who wants to achieve peak performance in their sport of choice.
For more research on the Functional Movement Screen go here: Research
To visit the FMS site go here: FMS - Functional Movement Screen
For more information or to set up a Functional Movement Screen contact Betsy Collie at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-403-8651